Sunday, June 24, 2018

Steam Test On Malabar District

When I started the basic 85" by 12" shelf at Malabar, I had it in mind to bring back a shelf layout I built on a 1 x 10 plank 7 feet long in a walk-in closet in my first apartment after I moved out on my own. My object there was to find a small steam loco that would perform adequately on such a small layout, and given what was available at the time, I never quite succeeded. (I believe some of the small PFM brass locos of the early 1970s would have been good choices, but they were beyond my budget.)

I revisited this effort the other day by testing a Bachmann 2-6-0 on the Malabar layout. With a Digitrax DZ126 decoder, it did pretty well, especially on the 14-7/16" curves. It does need cleaner track than an equivalent diesel, probably because it's lighter. Here are some photos of the test:

This is making me think I will add structures and other details on Malabar consistent with the steam era.

3 comments:

  1. Nice to see you have the option to run both Steam and Diesel on your Malabar Branch. Some transition era structures and rolling stock would allow you to run both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always nice to see steam on the railroad. That engine fits right in there! Glad to see it negotiates the rails!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Malabar continues to be a very interesting location to be a rail fan! Nice to see steam making a comeback and finding a spot on your layout.

    ReplyDelete