Sunday, September 19, 2021

Finishing Up On Lake St

I'm in the last stages of retrofitting a stretch of trolley-interurban track on the west end of Lake St in Zenith. What I did over the space of several years was to chisel and dremel out a channel in the middle of the plaster street that woukld allow me to drop in sections of HO code 100 track.

This was a messy and tedious project that I worked on in spurts, taking long breaks. I was finally spurred on to finish when George Sellios reopened his layout after the lockdowns, and visitors began posting new photos on Facebook.

It took me a while to figure out the neatest and least troublesome way to resurface the street with the track in it and avoid having to clean out the flangeways.

What I settled on was to use spackle to fill in the space between the edge of the channel and the outsides of the rails. Then I sanded the spackle smooth to match the street surface. You can see the initial result below.

Then I realized I had some Walthers 933-3140 street track inserts left over from other projects. I used the center sections from these to cover the space between the rails. Then I painted the surface with Woodland Scenics Asphalt using the bottle shown in the photo below.
There are still some gaps and messy parts that showed themwelves after painting. I can fill these again with spackle and paint them, although no street surface is perfect in the real world.

I can finally get around to cleaning up the mess and putting vehicles, figures, and street details back in place.

No comments:

Post a Comment