Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Scenery Rework And Additions

One of the most challenging areas of scenery on my layout is surrounding a sewer pipe and cleanout. This is also the highest point on the layout for the upper track, and the scenery overall in this area has been patterened after the D&RGW . Here's the area behind the sewer pipe soon after basic benchwork and track were installed c 1995:

The area just past the sewer pipe in the photo above wound up being conceptualized and slowly scenicked based on the East Portal of Moffat Tunnel, thanks to a Mr Plaster Moffat Tunnel portal I found at a hobby shop. This is how East Portal looked after I did some work in the area in December 2014:

I was never satisfied with the lower-tier scenery below East Portal and the sewer pipe, as well as realizing there was never going to be a good solution for the sewer cleanout -- it was always going to be there and always going to need some sort of access for plumbing emergencies.

Around the time I began to focus seriously on the area below and to the left of the sewer pipe, MR came out with its Virginian project layout. The Virginian has been one of my favorites since I was maybe 12 years old and eagerly devoured the new H. Reid book my parents gave me for my birthday.

Eventually I added a Walthers Cornerstone New River mine to this area. You can still see the sewer cleanout poking behind it:

But the area behind the mine continued to be problematic. There were numerous false starts, none good enough for me to make much progress.

Last week I started to hack away and rethink.

For reference, you can see the back of the mine and the sewer pipe. More to come.

2 comments:

  1. Indoor plumbing sometimes has a way of getting in the way. Better this than an outhouse. or maybe not ;). Interesting conundrum and I'm looking forward to seeing the next installment. BTW the New River Mining Kit looks great as does the Moffat Tunnel entrance and VGN diesel. I know if it were me as soon as I covered it up I would need access to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Over the past year, we'/e had to have extensive plumbing and heating work in the basement. A lot of solder dropped on the VGN area, so it also needs renewal. Hopefully there will be a break in the interruptons!

    ReplyDelete