Monday, December 7, 2015

Scenery Rework -- III

I'm discovering again what a good scenery technique cardboard mesh and hardshell is. It's cheap (almost "free" for the cardboard strips) and easy to make changes. I shape out an area and let it sink in for hours or days. I watch a few train DVDs with scenery -- the Green Frog Emery Gulash Rio Grande Odyssey series is good for this, among others. Thinking about what was unfinished, what could be done, and where the various pipes and ducts are, I'm expanding the project a little more with each step. Here's the current state of the work:

There's another, smaller object I wanted to accomplish when I started this project. Two things you see very often when you're out railfanning in 2015 is railroad construction equipment and maintenance vehicles. I dug out a Roco road grader from the 1960s or 70s from my stored stuff. This reminded me of a Union Pacific grader I saw at Caliente:

I painted up the Roco model. There's an eBay seller who does decals for railroad maintenance equipment, and I'll eventually letter the grader for UP like the prototype. As part of the project, I leveled out an area and added BLMA K-rail barriers.

1 comment:

  1. Project continues to evolve very nicely John. The road grader is a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete