Sunday, December 13, 2015

Scenery Rework -- V

Yesterday I finished the plaster cloth hardshell in the project area. Here's an overall view as it stands:

Here's a closer view of some finished rockwork (I think almost 20 years old, some of the first scenery I put in) with the new hardshell above it:

This specific area is CP Drains, named after the station Drains, the lowest point on John Allen's G&D. Drains is also the lowest point on my layout.

Tomorrow I need to vacuum and otherwise clean up all the plaster dust and other crud! The hardshell will mostly be covered with rock castings of some sort, probably from several sources. I won't do much of this until after the holidays. Here's a photo I posted on a forum with posed WM-B&O Fs at the tunnel portal:

After watching my Green Frog CSX DVD set, I'm thinking hard about making the tunnel portal area and rockwork in the lower half of the project reflect Appalachian landscape, transitioning to more Rocky Mountain style scenery in the upper half. The differences will mainly be in vegetation, since watching the CSX DVDs convinces me that there's a great deal of more or less vertical rockwork in the East as well as the West. Naturally the "experts" will tell me I'm doing it all wrong once again, but I've learned it's never fun to have them visit anyhow, so they won't.

1 comment:

  1. WOW! The newly installed area is looking great John. Amazing how much better it looks in just rough plaster. Great job!
    BTW that is some horn array on top of the WM unit!

    ReplyDelete